Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
BYOD / BYOT
Tips for new users
What are the best Apps?
What is a good App?
What is really Essential?
Working with the Web
APPS IN ACTION
Collaborate & Share
Combine Text & Images
Create Music & Audio
Draw & Edit Images
Present to an Audience
Read & Annotate
Tell Digital Stories
Write & Take Notes
Art & Drawing
Tips for new users
ipad basic use settings apps
The following are tips based on the most commonly asked questions about iPad functionality.
- hold down the comma, exclamation mark key and when the apostrophe key pops up simply let go and an apostrophe will be inserted into the text. Holding down the full stop/question mark key will insert quotation marks. Similarly, when typing a website URL hold down the .com key to access the other common .options.
- when an option pops up you can reject it by just finishing the word, then tapping the suggestion to dismiss it. If you want to use the option presented, just type a space and the option will be inserted.
- Pressing this icon to the left of the URL bar in the iPad's Safari web browser will bookmark the current webpage to a bookmark bar, a folder or as an icon on the iPad's Home screen.
- double tap the Home button (or swipe up with four fingers) and swipe left through the open and recently used icons to find the brightness controller. Slide the button along the bar to adjust the brightness to suit the current lighting.
- in the Camera app, tap on a part of the image to focus or to set the light level. Pinch in and out with two fingers to zoom in or out on your subject.
- pressing, or holding down, the shift key (upward pointing arrow) on the iPad keyboard results in a capital letter. Double tapping this key will enable caps lock and the key will remain blue.
Copy and Paste
- double tap on a word to select it, drag the blue handles to select a string of text, a menu will appear that allows you to (among other options) cut or copy the selected text. Repeat this process in a blank section to paste the copied text. Triple tap to selct a whole paragraph.
Emailing a file
- the iPad uses email as an efficient method of sharing files or photos. Look within the App for a curved arrow which is the standard symbol to access this function.
- before you can use the mail out feature you will need to set up a mail account. Most of the popular email systems are supported. This is a link to
an informative YouTube video
to explain how to do this.
- are an efficient way to store multiple icons in the one categorised place. Hold down an icon until it starts to wobble, drag the icon onto another icon and a folder will be created. Rename the folder to anything you want. To add more icons to the folder simoly drag them onto the folder and let go.
- pressing the Home button while on any page screen will take you to the Home screen.
- place two fingers on the keyboard and pull apart to split the keyboard into two small half keypads (you must first enable this feature in Settings > Keyboard). Pressing the globe icon to the left of the space bar will change the language being used.
- To move an icon to a new location hold it down until it starts to wobble. Drag it to the side of the page to move it to another page. Up to 6 icons can be stored in the dock to appear on any page.
- there is no need to turn your iPad off fully when not in use, allowing it to go into sleep mode sufficiently reduces its power usage and allows for a quick restart.
- to end your use of an App and return to the last page screen just press the Home button, you position within that App will be automatically saved within most Apps.
- swipe to the right on the home screen to bring up a search window. Key words entered here will be located within the names of Apps, in emails and within files that you have created.
- if you don't want the screen to flip when the iPad moves then moves the selector button (on the back of the iPad near the volume control) to Lock. This same button can also be a mute switch - to change its functionality go to Settings>General and toggle between the Mute and Lock Rotation functions.
- you can take an image of any screen on the iPad by simultaneously pressing the Home and the Sleep/Wake buttons. There will be an audible click and the screen will flash. Your new screen shot will be saved as an image in the Photos gallery, wher it can be viewed, edited, emailed or imported into other Apps.
- to join a wi-fi network or to turn wi-fi on or off, go to Settings>Wi-Fi. Select the appropriate network and enter the wi-fi password (if required). Within a school you will probably also need to enter a proxy code to access the internet (see your school's technical support person for this).
- in on websites (or most other screens) by pinching out with two fingers on the screen. To zoom in just do the opposite with two fingers. Double tapping is an auto zoom in/zoom out function.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"